One of the most prevalent household chores that families simply cannot escape is laundry. The unfortunate reality is that it, quite literally, never ends. Each day, we wake up only to create more laundry for ourselves, adding just another thing to our long list of chores. This might sound bleak - and quite frankly a little exhausting - but it doesn’t have to be as miserable as we’ve made it sound. And of course, there are a few of you who probably actually enjoy doing laundry!
No matter which end of the spectrum you’re on (love laundry or love to hate laundry), we know you probably won’t complain about a few tips and tricks that make laundry time more fun, less stressful, and more efficient. So without further ado, here’s our roundup of laundry tips, tricks, and hacks that are sure to lighten your load (pun definitely intended).
- Unload the dryer right away. Why? Doing so might actually save you from having to iron a few things. Dress clothes and formal wear that can be washed and dried in your machine often come out looking freshly pressed. After unloading the dryer, hang these items in the closet (with a bit of breathing room) to see if gravity can finish the job. Imagine how much time you could save by ironing a few less things - or eliminating ironing all together!
- Invest in washer/dryer friendly essentials. Rugs, play mats, and diaper changing mats are some of the most commonly dry-cleaned or “special wash” items. Instead of penciling in time to head to the dry cleaners, or filling the tub with hot water and detergent, invest in essentials that can be tossed directly into the washer (like everything in our collection).
- Light load? Use the quick-wash setting. Contrary to popular belief, your quick wash cycle is probably just as thorough as a typical wash. If you’re popping a small load in the washer, choose this cycle to cut down on your wash time by nearly half!
- Have an ASAP basket. Some families do laundry every single day to avoid hamper overflow, and many see success by implementing an ASAP basket for priority items. Uniforms, favorite shirts, stained items, and undergarments might all be tossed into the ASAP basket and done right away, that way you can save yourself from tending to less important items too frequently.
- Use labels to help kids put their own laundry away. If your kiddos are old enough to assist with chores like laundry, try implementing a system that’s easy for them to use on laundry day so they can easily put away their clothes in drawers, bins, or shelves labeled clearly for them to see. This can save you from making trips to put things away for your perfectly capable little ones.